Trip Cancellation & Interruption Coverage: What You Need To Know
Trip Cancellation and Interruption coverage, also referred to as TCTI, is most helpful for those booking and pre-paying for their trip in advance, when it’s impossible to foresee what might occur to cancel or interrupt your trip. It is smart to insure expensive plane tickets, tours, or accommodations. TCTI reimburses the money you lose if your trip is cancelled or cut short for sudden, unforeseen covered reasons. Trip Cancellation and Interruption coverage through International Volunteer Card is an upgrade option to your Basic, Plus, Premium or 365 travel insurance policy.
Coverage is provided for unforeseeable events or their consequences if there is a change in plans by you, a family member traveling with you or traveling companion. Covered reasons include:
- Sickness, injury or death of you or your traveling companion, you or your traveling companion’s family member, or business partner;
- Common carrier delays or cancellations resulting from inclement weather or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;
- Financial insolvency of your tour operator, airline, hotel, rental car company, etc.;
- A terrorist act which occurs in your departure city or in a city which is a scheduled destination for your trip provided the terrorist act occurs within 30 days of the scheduled departure date.
For the full list of covered reasons and their details, please view the TCTI Description of Coverage.
How Reimbursement and Payouts Work
For a prompt claims settlement, you should call the 24/7 assistance number on the back of your Volunteer Card within 72 hours of becoming aware of the need to cancel or change your trip. Benefits for claims will be paid as soon as written proof of the claim is received. Benefits are paid directly to you unless otherwise directed.
What’s Not Covered
TCTI does not cover cancellations for known reasons. For example, you cannot purchase TCTI coverage after you or a loved one falls ill, the same way you can’t purchase fire insurance after a fire. Additional exclusions include expenses caused by:
- Pre-existing conditions;
- Normal pregnancy or resulting childbirth;
- Participation as a professional in athletics ;
- Declared or undeclared war or any act of war, civil disorders, or travel warming/alerts;
For the full list of plan exclusions and their details, please view the TCTI Description of Coverage.
If you have any questions about our coverage, feel free to give us a toll-free call at (877) 865-6877 or send us at email (email@example.com).